First principles-based materials theory, magnetic oxides, ferroelectricity, multiferroics, materials with strong electronic correlations.
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)|
- Ph.D., Physics, July 2003, University of Stuttgart, Germany
- Diplom, Physics, March 2000, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Research Experience and Employment
- since 03/2012: Senior Scientist/Lecturer within the Materials Theory Group, Department of Materials, ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
- 09/2007 - 02/2012: PIYRA Research Lecturer (equivalent to Assistant Professor), School of Physics, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- 08/2006 - 08/2007: Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Physics, Columbia University, New York, USA. Mentor: Prof. Andrew J. Millis.
- 09/2003 - 07/2006: Postdoctoral Fellow, Materials Research Laboratory and Materials Department, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA. Mentor: Prof. Nicola A. Spaldin.
- 04/2000 - 07/2003: Ph.D. research, Max-Planck Institute for Metals Research, Stuttgart, Germany, Thesis: Ab initio theory of x-ray magneto-optical phenomena in systems with reduced dimensionality, Supervisor: Prof. Manfred Fähnle.
- 02/1999 - 03/2000: Diplom research, Max-Planck Institute for Metals Research, Stuttgart, Germany, Thesis: Ab initio calculation of spin wave spectra in complex systems and implementation of a “Full-Spin” LMTO method, Supervisor: Prof. Manfred Fähnle.
Honors and Awards
- Ad Hominem Professor, ETH Zürich (since 04/2017)
- CRANN Investigator 2009-2012 (CRANN is Ireland's leading Nanoscience Research Centre)
- President of Ireland Young Researcher Award (PIYRA) 2007